If a toddler has a special nutritional need, they may be unable to get enough energy and nutrition from their diet alone; in these instances healthcare professional may consider giving them additional nutritional support.
Here are some common reasons why toddlers may need nutritional support:
- Increased energy requirements which may be due to medical conditions such as cystic fibrosis
- Impaired absorption, which reduces a child’s ability to benefit from the nutrients in the food they eat, for example Crohn’s disease
- Reduced appetite or food intake which may happen following illness, surgery or other medical treatments
- What is nutritional support?
- What is food fortification?
- What are sip feeds (oral nutritional supplements)?
- Tips for toddlers who are taking sip feeds (oral nutritional supplements)
- What is tube feeding (enteral feeding)?
- Helping you manage your toddler's tube feeding
RXANI130244d Date of preparation: January 2014